Basic information of the sector
The jurisdiction of the Ministry of Culture in the field of museums is to:
- Develop state strategy and implement the state policy in the field of museums;
- Coordinate international cooperation projects as well as inform other museums on the opportunities of international cooperation;
- Distribute funding allocated by the state budget to the accredited museums for implementing of culture and historic, fine arts and other projects and programs;
- Establish Latvian Museum Council and approve its Statute;
- Develop and maintain the National master catalogue of museum collections:
- Evaluate correspondence of the museum to the status of a culture institution of national significance.
Jānis Garjāns, Head of the Museums Division. Janis.Garjans@km.gov.lv, phone: 67330301.