In 2016 reconstruction and restoration of three museum units of the project “Restoration of the Museum of Rainis and Aspazija” has been finished
In 2016 the reconstruction and restoration of three museum units of the project “Restoration of the Museum of Rainis and Aspazija” has been finished.
The objective of the project was to reconstruct and restore three exposition sites of the Museum of Rainis and Aspazija - Rainis and Aspazija Summer Cottage, Museum of Rainis "Tadenava" and Rainis and Aspazija House, in order to ensure the preservation of the cultural heritage and the accessibility of high quality cultural services to the public.
On 22 July, reconstruction and restoration of the museum of Rainis “Tadenava” in Jēkabpils region, Dunava district was finished. The museum has been created in a place where the poet has spent the first three years of his life. The sauna where Rainis, or Jānis Pliekšāns by his real name, was born, is located at a 1 km distance from the house, with a memorial stone. The most important objects of the museum ensemble are the half a manor dwelling house and the shed, both built in 1865 by the poet’s father. The ensemble also consists of a countryside sauna, a basement and the dwelling house of the new farm “Dāboliņi”, built in 1920s.
On 26 August, reconstruction and restoration of the memorial house “Rainis and Aspazija summer cottage” on Jāņa Pliekšāna iela 5/7, Jūrmala was finished. The summer cottage, consisting of three buildings characteristic to the Jūrmala wooden constructions, was bought by Rainis and Aspazija on 1926 and they spent summers in the house from 1927 to 1929. On September 12, 1929 Rainis died in this cottage.
In the summer of 1949 a Museum of Rainis was opened in the cottage, but on 1969 the present-day museum ensemble was created that also includes the cottage garden.
Rainis and Aspazija house on Baznīcas Street 30 in Riga was opened on 10 September. These buildings are a part of an important wooden architecture heritage of Riga centre. Both the two-storey street house and the one-storey house in the yard with a small inner forecourt create a unique historical ensemble. The house on Baznīcas Street is one of the most authentic memorial places of Rainis and Aspazija, one that hasn’t been under any important rebuilding process since their time. This is the house the poets lived in from September 15, 1926 to September 12, 1929 until his death by Rainis, and to spring 1933 by Aspazija.
All museums are now open for public and waiting for visitors.