History of the Ministry of Culture
The Ministry of Culture as a separate state administration institution was founded on 15 May 1953. The Ministry of Culture was located on the premises of the former and current Embassy of Russia at 2 Antonijas iela.
As a result of the changes in the state administration, the Ministry of Culture was merged with the Ministry of Education in August of 1993. R. Pauls resigned from the offered position of the State Minister as a protest against it. He was replaced by J. Dripe who was able to promote the renewal of the Ministry of Culture already in a year – in November of 1994. More information.
History of the building
The building at 11a Valdemāra iela was constructed in 1873. The author of its design was Heinrich Scheel (1829 – 1909), the academic of German origin and one of the famous architects of Riga. Initially it was his private house - one of the fanciest buildings in the ensemble of Riga boulevards. The house was created with a small front yard facing A. Pumpura iela, and the ensemble was complemented with a stylistically matching fence and abundantly decorated household building – stable. More information.